Poll about SJR Forums

11 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you be more interested in the Forums if you could subscribe to topics via email? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Yes! Get us better software (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Nope! Not interested at all (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. Maybe! (and/or I don't really know all that much about this stuff) (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 megmeyer

professional

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Computers, Boating, Hockey, Stargate SG-1, Linda Eder (singer)

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:52 AM

I was looking into message board software, and need to know if this is worth it to our members. Please take a minute to read and answer this poll!

Thanks!

PS - You will need to register for the forums in order to vote, but it is free, and won't hurt anyone!
Meg
SJR Webmaster, Chief of Timing & Scoring

#2 Guest_TheWake_*

• Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:20 PM

Email notifications are worth the upgrade.

Meg, check out Soop, www.soopportal.org, it will do subscriptions and is free.

#3 megmeyer

professional

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Computers, Boating, Hockey, Stargate SG-1, Linda Eder (singer)

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:23 PM

TheWake said:

Meg, check out Soop, www.soopportal.org, it will do subscriptions and is free.

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. (Well, I did, and it is for ASP, which I would like to avoid and pretty much can't use (we are on a linux/apache server))

Meg
Meg

#4 Guest_TheWake_*

• Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:00 AM

Sorray about the ASP. I find it fairly easy to pick up and use. However all the sites I have put a forum and stuff on have been Windows machines. There has to be a free/low cost portal program in PHP. I'll let you know if I find one.

#5 Guest_TheWake_*

• Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:21 AM

Meg,

It seems as though all the other sites I (in)frequently visit that use PHP to do the forum/comunity thing are running vBulletin.

It seems to be a complete package, very professional and solid looking. I'll let you know of any others I come upon.

Cost is $160 + $30/yr for updates (free first year) or $85/year.

#6 JThw8

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:55 AM

Guess Im a bit confused. I thought this software already let you subscribe (Notify when a reply is posted) I dont think Ive ever used that function on this board but I have definitely used it on other boards running the same software and it worked fine. Am I missing something?

#7 Guest_waveydavey_*

• Guests

Posted 05 October 2005 - 02:29 PM

... confused...
Yeah me too. I do receive notification via email when something is posted... though it might only be when a thread I've either started or responded to sees action.
... didn't receive an email about this particular thread.

#8 JThw8

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:20 PM

I put a subscription on this thread just to test it out and I did indeed get an email notification when Daves reply was posted.

#9 megmeyer

professional

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:30 AM

JThw8 said:

I put a subscription on this thread just to test it out and I did indeed get an email notification when Daves reply was posted.

I was pretty sure (before I got here today!) that phpBB only let you get emailed replies to your own posts, not generic, when anyone posts a topic in this forum in inidividual or digest mode emails. I still am not sure what the watch this topic does. I will look into that.

I was looking for the ability to do the digest form thing (which basically makes it act much like an email list like sjr_autox does).

Thanks for pointing out that I was not paying attention to features we might already have!

Meg
Meg

• Guests

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:23 AM

Ahh, yeah Im not sure about the digest thing, but you can add a watch to any topic created by anyone to get an email when an update is posted.

The watch will only email you on the first new posting, this is to keep you from getting a bunch of emails for the same topic getting replies.

#11 JThw8

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:23 AM

Anonymous said:

Ahh, yeah Im not sure about the digest thing, but you can add a watch to any topic created by anyone to get an email when an update is posted.

The watch will only email you on the first new posting, this is to keep you from getting a bunch of emails for the same topic getting replies.

Doh, that was me...forgot to log in.

#12 megmeyer

professional

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:42 AM

[quote="JThw8"][quote=Anonymous]
Doh, that was me...forgot to log in.[/quote]

I do that a lot! (Luckily, I haven't actually posted that way, though!)

I believe it will email you everytime a reply is posted on the topic you are watching. However, you can't get email notification of new topics in a forum. Or the digest.

There is actually an add-on module that supposedly does that. However, (call me strange) I would feel much more comfortable if the people that wrote the original software were the ones dealing with the email notifications and digests, etc.

I am still looking, so we will see what happens.

Meg
Meg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users