4 replies to this topic

#1 Spanky

instructor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Photography - Graphic Design - Braking and fixing my Neon

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

I am looking into helments and found a full face helmet that is DOT approved but doesn't say anything on if it's snell or not and i cannot find the website to save me.Maybe someone has came across this in there travels and knows about them.I know it's a bike helmet for sportbikes and it's called GPX and the model number is S-300.

Anyone have an idea?
Posted Image

Frankie - #38 FSP
1998 Dodge Neon ACR
2001 Dodge Neon R/T (RIP)
2010 Rookie of the Year
http://www.facebook....nkrophotography

#2 IMPREZvWRX

The Timing Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

View PostSpanky, on Jul 16 2010, 03:03 PM, said:

I am looking into helments and found a full face helmet that is DOT approved but doesn't say anything on if it's snell or not and i cannot find the website to save me.Maybe someone has came across this in there travels and knows about them.I know it's a bike helmet for sportbikes and it's called GPX and the model number is S-300.

Anyone have an idea?

4.3.1 Helmets
Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on course:

All helmets meeting the current or two immediately preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA2005, SA2000, SA95, M2010, M2005, M2000, M95, K2005, K98), SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A or British spec BS6658-85 type A/FR are acceptable.

Formula Junior drivers must use helmets meeting the above, SFI 24.1 (Youth Helmets), Snell CMR2007 (Children’s Motorsports Restricted), or Snell CMS2007 (Children’s Motorsports Standard) specifications.

For maximum protection, helmets must fi t securely and should provide adequate peripheral vision. The chin strap must be securely fastened. Loaner helmets should be available to vehicle occupants not having their own.

If it's not clearly marked, it shouldn't pass tech because we can't be sure of its rating. Also, please don't cheap out when it comes to protecting your head. You only get one. I'm not saying to go out and buy a $500 helmet, but make sure what you're getting is legit. No $40 motocross helmets.
Here's a good example of a helmet that's full face and SA rated in case you decide to do a PDX or other track event. I feel it's worth the extra few bucks when compared to a M-rated helmet of similar quality. My helmet only has a M rating, so I'll need to get another one if I ever get on track, but I don't count since mine was free. :blink:

http://www.teamdi.com/index.php?page=shop....t&Itemid=61
Chris - Professional Tire Kicker

#3 sean

rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

+1 on that. If you ever plan on moving past the parking lot, you'll need an SA approved helmet. And get a full face model so you don't end up with pictures of yourself making stupid faces in the car.
Sean Horner
#171 ESP, 2004 Mach 1

#4 megmeyer

professional

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Computers, Boating, Hockey, Stargate SG-1, Linda Eder (singer)

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

View Postsean, on Jul 17 2010, 10:43 PM, said:

And get a full face model so you don't end up with pictures of yourself making stupid faces in the car.

LOL! And if that line doesn't convince you, nothing will!
Meg
SJR Webmaster, Chief of Timing & Scoring

#5 Spanky

instructor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Photography - Graphic Design - Braking and fixing my Neon

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:15 AM

Just ordered a G Force SA2005 Rated one.I wasnt sure on the one i found but wasn't trying to be cheap at all.Just seen a price that was more then affordable but i went with one i tried on and felt comfortable in.Also i already have a few oddly faced pictures while driving so full face for sure.
Posted Image

Frankie - #38 FSP
1998 Dodge Neon ACR
2001 Dodge Neon R/T (RIP)
2010 Rookie of the Year
http://www.facebook....nkrophotography

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users