New for Sunday, few quick questions

9 replies to this topic

#1 bhipp2004

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

Hey guys, I just moved to the area around the end of June and wanted to get started in autocross. I've never raced before, whether it be on a track or autocross, so this Sunday will be my first event, and was looking for a few tips and pointers. I'll be running a 1991 Honda Civic SI in the H-stock class, and wanted to know what I can do for cheap before Sunday to be better prepared. I also don't currently own a helmet, are there loaners available or would I have to find one by Sunday to use? Is there any type of instruction available, or should I just go out and drive? My car is in perfect working order, so I'm not worried about that.

Sorry for all the questions, and I apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this. Thanks for your help!

-Brandon
89 Honda Civic SI
#12 STC

#2 IMPREZvWRX

professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

Welcome to the area.

If you want to be prepared for Sunday, just make sure your car's in good shape, everything is tight, etc. Get a good night's sleep and bring a lunch. That's pretty much it. We have loaner helmets on site, and plenty of instructors to lend a hand.
Chris - 37 SM - 1999 Subaru Impreza RS

#3 bronxbomber252

professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

There are loaner helmets and instructors available... You have a very good car for Autox so this should be fun... Most important thing is just be open to instruction and HAVE FUN!!!!! other than that assuming you are correct about your car being in perfect working order you should be good to go...

o and did I mention HAVE FUN!
Bryan - #66 STR
2001 Honda S2000
2009 Rookie of the Year
2010 STR Champion
Posted Image
"With men and women all in one day...your car might need an intervention" -Jon Caserta (IntegraR0064)

#4 Lil' Eleanor

instructor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Autox, Mustangs

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

View Postbhipp2004, on Aug 10 2009, 08:38 PM, said:

Hey guys, I just moved to the area around the end of June and wanted to get started in autocross. I've never raced before, whether it be on a track or autocross, so this Sunday will be my first event, and was looking for a few tips and pointers. I'll be running a 1991 Honda Civic SI in the H-stock class, and wanted to know what I can do for cheap before Sunday to be better prepared. I also don't currently own a helmet, are there loaners available or would I have to find one by Sunday to use? Is there any type of instruction available, or should I just go out and drive? My car is in perfect working order, so I'm not worried about that.

Sorry for all the questions, and I apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this. Thanks for your help!

-Brandon

Welcome!

My only other suggestion is dependant on the weather. Sunblock if you burn easily and wear a baseball hat and sunglasses. You're on black asphalt all day. Hope this helps and hope you have fun=]
In Loving Memory of My Dad, who taught me how to drive and took me to my first autocross.
Rest in Peace Dad, I love you and think of you at every race. 2/13/60-11/13/10.
Posted Image

#5 bhipp2004

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm really excited about it, and can't wait to get out there and drive my car like it should be driven! Another question, how long do these events typically last?
89 Honda Civic SI
#12 STC

#6 Lil' Eleanor

instructor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Autox, Mustangs

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

View Postbhipp2004, on Aug 10 2009, 10:10 PM, said:

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm really excited about it, and can't wait to get out there and drive my car like it should be driven! Another question, how long do these events typically last?

As far as length, I'm not the most experienced person to answer this because I'm still new to the sport of autocross. I've been to three events and with registration opening at 8am and if memory serves me correctly, I believe the days ended around 3-4pm? Typically the coordinators of the event try to allow for the maximum number of runs and the events that I attended averaged 6-7 runs per car.
In Loving Memory of My Dad, who taught me how to drive and took me to my first autocross.
Rest in Peace Dad, I love you and think of you at every race. 2/13/60-11/13/10.
Posted Image

#7 bronxbomber252

professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

^^^yea that!
Bryan - #66 STR
2001 Honda S2000
2009 Rookie of the Year
2010 STR Champion
Posted Image
"With men and women all in one day...your car might need an intervention" -Jon Caserta (IntegraR0064)

#8 JoeCool

rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

View Postbhipp2004, on Aug 10 2009, 08:38 PM, said:

-Brandon

You can find a good checklist at http://www.autox4u.com/check.htm

In addition to this list I would get your car inspected as early as possible. This gives you time to address any issues the inspector finds.

Walk the course at least 4 times with someone who can explain the cones and layout. Another reason to arrive early.

Get an instructor to ride with you the first two or three times. Concentrate on staying on course and not your times for the first couple of events. Your times will drop dramatically when you can navigate the course without hesitation.

Remember almost everyone started out just like you. Have fun!!!
Joe
1988 Mustang GT/Corbra
#11 CP

#9 bhipp2004

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the advice, and the link, it helped a lot!
89 Honda Civic SI
#12 STC

#10 megmeyer

professional

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Computers, Boating, Hockey, Stargate SG-1, Linda Eder (singer)

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

View Postbhipp2004, on Aug 12 2009, 05:40 PM, said:

Thanks for the advice, and the link, it helped a lot!

I am sure you will have a great time. I autocrossed my 1.8T Jetta once, and loved it! I just spend too much time/money on the club racing side of things to be able to get to many autocrosses. There are some great drivers/instructors at our autocrosses. Be a sponge, get as much info on the walk-thrus as you can, and just plain have fun.
Meg
SJR Webmaster, Chief of Timing & Scoring

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users