2007 BABE Rally quite a showing by SJRSCCA

14 replies to this topic

#1 JThw8

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

For those that didnt know, last year Jim Wakemen and I participated in a road rally called the BABE rally. Big Apple to Big Easy, 4 days from NY to New Orleans with daily challenges for points....oh, and you have to use a $250 car to do it. Jim and I and our other teamates made a respectible first year showing and placed 4th out of the 28 cars that finished.

We went back this year. Jim and his brother Jeff and another teamate of ours from last year ran this year in an 80s SAAB 900 and myself and our other teammate ran in a 1973 Beetle.

We were dissapointed that our beetle only came in 2nd for the crappiest car of the rally award (but we lost to a 71 VW bus that deserved it)

But none the less the SJR SCCA contingent make their mark known as we placed first and third overall for the entire rally (50 cars started this year) By an odd coincidence we also had a relationship to the 2nd place team as they were from england so we found the car for them and one of our other teammates registered it for them.

Congrats and MANY thanks to Jim and Jeff who helped give us an edge to win this one this year. It was a well fought victory for all and a whole bunch of fun, but next year we need a car that can break 65mph.

Posted Image

#2 megmeyer

professional

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Computers, Boating, Hockey, Stargate SG-1, Linda Eder (singer)

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:05 PM

Excellent news! Thanks for sharing, and congrats to all involved!
Meg
SJR Webmaster, Chief of Timing & Scoring

#3 Guest_TheWake_*

• Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

View PostJThw8, on May 29 2007, 04:00 PM, said:

Congrats and MANY thanks to Jim and Jeff who helped give us an edge to win this one this year. It was a well fought victory for all and a whole bunch of fun, but next year we need a car that can break 65mph.

It was great fun. I would add "brakes that don't need to be repaired just before driving right Hand Gap and Deals Gap" to the list of requirements.

Here are a few highlights:
Posted Image
Elvis

Posted Image
Dirt Road

Posted Image
The Tail of the Dragon

Posted Image
MOTRHOME!!!

Posted Image
Sunrise

I'll have more later.

#4 JThw8

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:50 PM

View PostTheWake, on May 31 2007, 10:23 AM, said:

It was great fun. I would add "brakes that don't need to be repaired just before driving right Hand Gap and Deals Gap" to the list of requirements.

awww...cmon...it wasnt that bad, and you didnt have to ride in the car with the rigged brakes ;) Actually our repair stop would have been much shorter if we had decided to bail on waiting for parts earlier.

#5 Guest_TheWake_*

• Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:15 PM

View PostJThw8, on May 31 2007, 02:50 PM, said:

awww...cmon...it wasnt that bad, and you didnt have to ride in the car with the rigged brakes ;) Actually our repair stop would have been much shorter if we had decided to bail on waiting for parts earlier.

No thanks, just to Statten Island was enough. You really seemed to get the brakes working before we got there, just the one adjustment stop. Then again if they hadn't broken, we may never have found the T, or Juanita.

#6 Guest_TheWake_*

• Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:53 PM

My photo gallery is up with 50 of the best shots from the weekend.

Click to visit and see the rest of the shots: BABE 2007 gallery

#7 JThw8

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

View PostTheWake, on May 31 2007, 03:15 PM, said:

No thanks, just to Statten Island was enough. You really seemed to get the brakes working before we got there, just the one adjustment stop. Then again if they hadn't broken, we may never have found the T, or Juanita.

I agree, alot of things seemed very fated on this trip, we would have turned off on the shortcut to the highway before ever seeing the T and that would have hurt us alot in points. Also risking the final run for the oregon plate, I think only 2 plates separated us from #2 so everyone counted.

#8 Guest_TheWake_*

• Guests

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

View PostJThw8, on May 31 2007, 10:26 PM, said:

I agree, alot of things seemed very fated on this trip, we would have turned off on the shortcut to the highway before ever seeing the T and that would have hurt us alot in points. Also risking the final run for the oregon plate, I think only 2 plates separated us from #2 so everyone counted.

Just think how we could have done if did K-Mart correctly. Or worse if Fox and Mehgan did.

#9 Scoob

professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:AutoX, Home Theater

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:46 AM

View PostTheWake, on May 31 2007, 11:21 PM, said:

Just think how we could have done if did K-Mart correctly. Or worse if Fox and Mehgan did.
Excellent work, gents. Will there be a write-up in GRM or somewhere else?
Scott Boito
#68 F125 Kart

Better Off Racing

#10 Guest_TheWake_*

• Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

View PostScoob, on Jun 3 2007, 09:46 AM, said:

Excellent work, gents. Will there be a write-up in GRM or somewhere else?

Locally we are working to get an article in the Glouster County Times and nationally the crew from Automobile Magazine should have something in the September issue.

Of course I will be writing up something for my web site, Jim might as well.

I don't think there were other reporters on the rally or at the events except for Statten Island, where the local paper had an article published.

#11 JThw8

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

View PostTheWake, on Jun 3 2007, 08:13 PM, said:

Locally we are working to get an article in the Glouster County Times and nationally the crew from Automobile Magazine should have something in the September issue.

Of course I will be writing up something for my web site, Jim might as well.

I don't think there were other reporters on the rally or at the events except for Statten Island, where the local paper had an article published.

I did a full trip report on my website, follow the links to the 2007 rally page and there is a link to my trip report there.

Chris and I will also probably collaborate on a submission to GRM, no idea if they will publish it though.

Of course Jim W and I would be happy to put together something for At Speed too if there is any interest.

#12 megmeyer

professional

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Computers, Boating, Hockey, Stargate SG-1, Linda Eder (singer)

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:12 AM

View PostJThw8, on Jun 3 2007, 08:44 PM, said:

I did a full trip report on my website, follow the links to the 2007 rally page and there is a link to my trip report there.

Chris and I will also probably collaborate on a submission to GRM, no idea if they will publish it though.

Of course Jim W and I would be happy to put together something for At Speed too if there is any interest.

Please think about submitting your report to Dave for inclusion in At Speed! (At the least, send him an email to give him permission to use the one on your website!)
Meg

#13 Guest_TheWake_*

• Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

My story is up and ready for the world. I hope all of you find it an enjoyable read. My 2007 BABE rally story, or you can navigate to my site at www.wakemen.com and follow the links to rally then 2007 BABE rally. There is also a link into the gallery page at the bottom.

#14 megmeyer

professional

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

View PostTheWake, on Jun 5 2007, 11:28 PM, said:

My story is up and ready for the world. I hope all of you find it an enjoyable read. My 2007 BABE rally story, or you can navigate to my site at www.wakemen.com and follow the links to rally then 2007 BABE rally. There is also a link into the gallery page at the bottom.

I have read both stories! Thanks for sharing, guys. Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I think I like the Elvis's the best, though! ;)
Meg

#15 Guest_TheWake_*

• Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

View Postmegmeyer, on Jun 6 2007, 01:09 PM, said:

I have read both stories! Thanks for sharing, guys. Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I think I like the Elvis's the best, though! ;)

I'm going to try to bring Jim to the meeting next week, so we can share more stuff in person. So everyone come on out to the meeting!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users