12 replies to this topic

#1 Scoob

professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:AutoX, Home Theater

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

Wow! The site is great - so much better than Atco. Only 2 problems: some big bumps in the lot (we managed to hit 3 of the worst today), and the bus route around the perimeter. Overall, I'll take this lot over Atco and Boeing every time. No drag racers, no rude crazy folks driving carts and scooters through an event, and a lot 2x as big. :) What's not to like! Even the campus security folks seemed to enjoy having us there.

It was a hot day today, but I guess everyone stayed hydrated; I didn't see anyone passed out. But there were a fair number of sunburns. The course Andre set was a dynamic, fast course with a few tight technical bits. And at least in my car, a few strategically located bumps to keep me from improving my times any more in the afternoon session. The first bump I hit hard enough to jump my car sideways and scare the &^#! out of me! Videos show the violence of the bumpy bits - but still they aren't anyhting compared to Boeing.

I'm happy with my 3rd place in PAX today, but I wish Craven wouldn't show up. :P
Scott Boito
#68 F125 Kart

Better Off Racing

#2 rippinmazda

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:54 PM

I'm with Scoob on this one. Location was great and the track surface was pretty good. The one bump in the first 180 was alittle extreme and I definetly lost time there since I felt like i was catching air on some runs. Also, the finish was tricky to me since I plowed through it the first 2 run and even took out the reflector :P . Overall, I look foward to more events here and 8+ runs should def be possible once everyone is used to the lot and staging setup. My only question was why did we have to stop for the one short bus that went down the back side of the course? I was pretty sure there was a curb seperating the road and lot.

Ryan B
12 CSP
Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

#3 MiataPaul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

I've only been to ATCO 2x and Boeing once but I definitely agree with the above, this was a much better lot. Had a good time today, looking forward to the next.

#4 shinronin

rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:44 PM

Scoob, on Aug 6 2006, 06:27 PM, said:

Wow! The site is great - so much better than Atco. Only 2 problems: some big bumps in the lot (we managed to hit 3 of the worst today), and the bus route around the perimeter. Overall, I'll take this lot over Atco and Boeing every time. No drag racers, no rude crazy folks driving carts and scooters through an event, and a lot 2x as big. :) What's not to like! Even the campus security folks seemed to enjoy having us there.

the bumps were a pain. i found nailing the braking zones very difficult in mark's rx8. the surface was also not very grippy at all. the course was fun and pretty technical i thought.

Scoob, on Aug 6 2006, 06:27 PM, said:

I'm happy with my 3rd place in PAX today, but I wish Craven wouldn't show up. :P

you gotta raise your game, son! :) it is nutty how fast craven is in his STX WRX. yowsa.
Doug (pondering cars and classes)
STU 2000 Audi S4 (retired, F/S)
ST(U/X) 2005 Mazda RX-8 (retired, sold)
2006, 2007 SJR STU Champion
2008 Philly STS2 Champion (thanks paulyg!)

#5 jv

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:48 PM

The lot is a great size and the course design was awsome, but that one EVIL dip in the corner around the lightpole combined with my overly stiff setup just killed me. I was told the car became completely airborne at one point. :P

Anyways,

I can't wait till the event on the 20th and hopefully the course design can avoid some of those "trouble spots" in that lot. :)
#76 ST

Posted Image

#6 Scoob

professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:AutoX, Home Theater

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

shinronin, on Aug 7 2006, 01:44 PM, said:

the bumps were a pain. i found nailing the braking zones very difficult in mark's rx8. the surface was also not very grippy at all. the course was fun and pretty technical i thought.
I must disagree about the grippy surface. I've driven on lots of asphalt and this was by far the grippiest. Methinks it may have been the different car setup for you. I could barely wag my tail all day because I was so planted. And my tires wore through several event's worth of rubber on that surface. But I'm not complaining - it was like a window on the r-compound grip possible on other lots.
Scott Boito
#68 F125 Kart

Better Off Racing

#7 shinronin

rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

Scoob, on Aug 7 2006, 05:09 PM, said:

I must disagree about the grippy surface. I've driven on lots of asphalt and this was by far the grippiest. Methinks it may have been the different car setup for you. I could barely wag my tail all day because I was so planted. And my tires wore through several event's worth of rubber on that surface. But I'm not complaining - it was like a window on the r-compound grip possible on other lots.

it might've been mark's stock alignment, but i run michelin ps2s on my audi s4 as summer tires and i know they have more grip than what i saw on sun. ambient temperature and co-driving on them i'm sure didn't help. :P
Doug (pondering cars and classes)
STU 2000 Audi S4 (retired, F/S)
ST(U/X) 2005 Mazda RX-8 (retired, sold)
2006, 2007 SJR STU Champion
2008 Philly STS2 Champion (thanks paulyg!)

#8 mikep

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Cobbling, going fast.

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:44 PM

I only showed up long enough to ride in the Heuns' Miata, but I was impressed. The entire event looked as if this was the second season there. Even the security guy I talked to was impressed. I told him to come back next time and go for a ride or compete.
Anyway, back to the course.. Brian has raised the bar on his driving. He shocked me with how hard that car will brake and turn (left) with the played-out tires on the front. And it was a good layout. Bumps are bad in a stiff car, but things like those bumps, the gravel, and the tight U-turn made it more technical. From my one run, I could see it being a mental course with plenty to think about and improve on.

Well done, and I'll see you on the 20th with the Volvo wagon.

Mike Perry

*edit: wow! it quadrupled the post! all fixed now.
EP '83 Corolla
STS Volvo 240 Wagon
Homegrown A-Mod on the drawing board

#9 HondaMike

novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:16 AM

I too had a good time at the event, got to see some old faces and meet some new ones. I too also notice a lack of grip but i think it was just my crappy suspension setup and tires..... Those bumps were pretty killer too, I was guarding the far gate from intruders and got to see everyone comin down that straight and jumping on the brakes to make it around the light pole (lots of lock ups here)....a couple vehicles definately got air. Aside from the bumps i think the new lot is great (and its also alot faster having 3 cars on track at once instead of 1 car for 2 laps)

interesting............. ;p

#10 mikep

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:22 PM

HondaMike, on Aug 8 2006, 12:16 PM, said:

I was guarding the far gate from intruders
You must be the guy I stopped to talk to when I arrived at 1pm. I was driving the rusty 4x4 Ranger.
EP '83 Corolla
STS Volvo 240 Wagon

#11 HondaMike

novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

mikep, on Aug 8 2006, 04:22 PM, said:

You must be the guy I stopped to talk to when I arrived at 1pm. I was driving the rusty 4x4 Ranger.

i don't remember meeting anyone is a rusty ranger............i may have been driving at the time

#12 mikehoyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

This was my first event with SJR and I thought the course was great, except for the bumps. The only suggestion I have is to use drywall instead of sidewalk chalk to mark the cones. It took awhile to replace some cones because the boxes were hard to see. Other than that everything was great, and I enjoyed myself with the funruns as I'm sure many others did :P

#13 mikep

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:22 PM

mikehoyer, on Aug 11 2006, 07:52 PM, said:

The only suggestion I have is to use drywall instead of sidewalk chalk to mark the cones. It took awhile to replace some cones because the boxes were hard to see.
Drywall works well.
EP '83 Corolla
STS Volvo 240 Wagon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users