Mk5 VW GTI class questions

1 reply to this topic

#1 Alex

novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

So, after running my Mk5 VW GTI this season in SMF, I've begun to throw around a few thoughts in my head about next season. These thoughts have led me to pose some classing questions.

First, here are the modifications on my car, excluding the turbocharger:

1. Bilstein PSS10 coilovers
2. APR 27mm rear sway bar
3. TSW 17x8 wheels on 225/45-17 Dunlop Direzza tires
4. AWE Tuning aftermarket intake
5. AWE Turboback exhaust with hi-flow cat
6. Full interior

Because I had upgraded the turbocharger to a larger, but still OEM (BorgWarner K04, compared to the stock IHI K03 turbo), unit, I presume that is the reason my car was in SMF this year.

Here are my classing questions after reading the 2011 Solo rulebook (these assume all other modifications in the numbered list above are kept constant):

1. If I switch back to the stock turbocharger but run modified ECU software to increase boost, will that put my car in STX or a Street Prepared class?
2. If I switch my tires to DOT R-comps (i.e. Hoosier A6 or Hankook Ventus Z214) with the stock turbocharger and modified ECU software, how does that affect classing?
3. In SMF, I can run any tire (either street or R-comp) and any size wheel, correct?

Thanks in advance for the help and clarifications. :)
Alex C. - VW GTI - #7 SMF
2011 SJ Solo II Rookie of the Year

#2 JBranco

instructor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Answers
1. You'd be in Street Prepared with a stock turbo and altered boost levels. You can run STX with non-factory engine control maps as long as it doesn't alter boost. Anything but the stock or updated stock turbo for your car moves you into SM(F).
2. You can run either SP or SM(F). SP has a better pax.
3. Yes. It just has to be DOT certified.
97 BMW M3 # 30 CS
05 Subaru Legacy GT #30 ESP/STX (retired from active duty)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users