STS or CSP

7 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:39 PM

I'm preparing my NA Miata for Solo II and I was wondering if there are more participants in CSP or STS 2 in this area? Which class do the majority of Miata owners run in?

#2 Scoob

professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:AutoX, Home Theater

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

CSP is a much larger, and more stable, class in SJR and Philly. 2 Miatas in CSP in SJR and several others in Philly. And of course several people still run their Miatas stock in CS and ES. As long as the stock classes allow R-compounds, it will be a good bet to see Miatas running stock.

But of course CSP is more expensive, so setting up for STS2 would be cheaper - and you could run with CSP when you wanted to. Would give you a good idea of how competitive the car might be "as is" versus what it might be with more $$$ sunk into it.

Either way, I hope to see you driving with us this year. 8)
Scott Boito
#68 F125 Kart

Better Off Racing

#3 Joseph B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:03 AM

Well, the car has the following, and I really dont feel like deleting anything unless I necessarily have to.

Tein Basic Coilovers
Azenis
RB Header, no cat and Racing Beat Catback
RB Tubular front swaybar
RSpeed STB
RB Stylebar
Removed AC
RB Intake and RX-7 AFM

Soon to Order some type of lw flywheel and clutch.

I only have 2 Auto-Xs under my belt, but I do have a great deal of car control, I'm coming from a 300WHP RX-7 TII to a Miata. I know I'm not going to be extremely competitive, but I would like to do well. Im leaning towards STS since my tire budget would be ALOT less than if I were to run CSP and attempt to do well.

#4 Scoob

professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:26 AM

A few things you mention seem to not be compatible with STS. If you removed your catalytic converter, or even relocated it, then it's straight to CSP for you:

This allowance does not
permit relocation of the catalytic converter (see 13.10.E). Exhaust
heat shields may be modified the minimum amount necessary
to accommodate allowed alternate exhaust components.
Same is true (I believe) for your AFM:

Emissions or
engine management components in the air intake system, such
as a PCV valve, or mass airflow sensor, may not be removed,
modified, or replaced, and must retain their original function
along the flow path.

Both of these appear to be legal in CSP, so it looks like that might be the way to go for you. But don't worry about R-compounds initially. You've already got the Azenis, so use them up learning this car's characteristics, then maybe try some Rs later.

The important part is to come out and play. :D
Scott Boito
#68 F125 Kart

Better Off Racing

#5 rippinmazda

driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:33 AM

Along with what Scoob said, the Lightweight flywheel/Aftermarket clutch will bump you out of STS2 also. I ran STS2 last year with SJR and was uncontested at every event, it got lame real fast. Anyway, I have a 92 miata that is setup very similar to yours so I would welcome the challenge in CSP. I have: Tein Flexes
New Azenis
RB front bar
cat delete
RX7 AFM
fidanza flywheel/Spec clutch

See ya at the first Race

Ryan B.
Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

#6 AFRaptor22

novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Triathlon, and SOLO II

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

View Postrippinmazda, on Jan 27 2006, 11:33 AM, said:

Along with what Scoob said, the Lightweight flywheel/Aftermarket clutch will bump you out of STS2 also. I ran STS2 last year with SJR and was uncontested at every event, it got lame real fast. Anyway, I have a 92 miata that is setup very similar to yours so I would welcome the challenge in CSP. I have: Tein Flexes
New Azenis
RB front bar
cat delete
RX7 AFM
fidanza flywheel/Spec clutch

See ya at the first Race

Ryan B.

Hopefully I'll be joining you guys in CSP, right now my Miata is more parts than car, but ultimately will be set up for SM later this summer. For suspension it's the Spec Miata coilovers and Eibach sway-bars, 99+ top hats soon. Running a cat delete pipe and exhaust TBD. Intake has to stay stock, and no I will not have the restrictor plate in for autocross. Cage and race seat are going in this week and hopefully an alignment to prep for shakedown. Have you guys found a good source for Azenis tires in the SJ area? I'm just going to run something like that on my stock 14" wheels for autocross and time trials until the fall when I have to use the Spec Toyo R888 tires.
#37 Spec Miata / CSP / ST-4

#7 Scoob

professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

The Azenis are yesterday's news in case you're looking for fast tires that are good on the street and autox. Bridgestone RE-01R and RE-11, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs, Toyo R1Rs, and Kumho XS are all newer and faster than the Azenis RT-615. Prices can be significantly more expensive for these, but if you want the best, you gotta pay the man!
Scott Boito
#68 F125 Kart

Better Off Racing

#8 AFRaptor22

novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Triathlon, and SOLO II

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

View PostScoob, on Apr 14 2009, 05:50 PM, said:

The Azenis are yesterday's news in case you're looking for fast tires that are good on the street and autox. Bridgestone RE-01R and RE-11, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs, Toyo R1Rs, and Kumho XS are all newer and faster than the Azenis RT-615. Prices can be significantly more expensive for these, but if you want the best, you gotta pay the man!

Yes, all those are better choices than the 615's, but for $50 a tire you can't beat them for learning a new car. I put them on my stock 14" wheels and I use them for time trials and track school right now. I have some junk tires on my 15" wheels that I'll use for autocross until I kill them and put some Toyo R888's on for sprint racing, then the 615's will be my autocross/street tires. The shaved R888s will NEVER see the street, maybe autoX on good pavement.

Got my car finished, came out really nice! Had it on track last weekend at Pocono North and it was a blast. Since then I did the 99+ shock hats and lowered it another inch, along with more camber. It should be even better now.

Attached Files

• Attached File  web.jpg   95.65K   12 downloads

#37 Spec Miata / CSP / ST-4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users