How do I get started...

1 reply to this topic

#1 Diggs27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hello to all the SCCA members. I am very much interested in getting started with SCCA and eventhough I don't currently race; I am looking to get more involved with all on-track activities. I have come out to a few races in the past; and really enjoyed the opportunity to meet some great people as well as found the racing action to be very hot. I checked into membership dues; and seen that the national dues are 65$ for the year. Was wondering what the cost would be for a "family" membership although it is only my fiance and I; or would we each have to join seprately?? Also; I know that the regional clubs have their own fees to go towards track time; upkeep; materials; etc. and was wondering what the additional charge (on top of the 65$ national fee) would be. Also; how would I go about beginning as a flagger or other worker once I have paid my dues?? Any assistance with any of this information would be greatly appreciated.

#2 megmeyer

professional

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Computers, Boating, Hockey, Stargate SG-1, Linda Eder (singer)

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

View PostDiggs27, on 25 May 2011 - 01:36 PM, said:

Hello to all the SCCA members. I am very much interested in getting started with SCCA and eventhough I don't currently race; I am looking to get more involved with all on-track activities. I have come out to a few races in the past; and really enjoyed the opportunity to meet some great people as well as found the racing action to be very hot. I checked into membership dues; and seen that the national dues are 65$ for the year. Was wondering what the cost would be for a "family" membership although it is only my fiance and I; or would we each have to join seprately?? Also; I know that the regional clubs have their own fees to go towards track time; upkeep; materials; etc. and was wondering what the additional charge (on top of the 65$ national fee) would be. Also; how would I go about beginning as a flagger or other worker once I have paid my dues?? Any assistance with any of this information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi! Welcome to the club! (even though it's not technically true, yet - you already have the mindset of an SCCA member!)

I am our membership chairperson. Our regional dues are $15. That brings the single season dues to 80. However, if you plan on volunteering (flagging, timing and scoring, registration, tech, pit, grid, stewards, paddock, hospitality, etc), you can join the first year for $30. Then, every day you volunteer gets you dollars off of your next year's renewal - up to $45! PLUS, if you refer other members, you get money off of next year's dues, also. ($5 per referral)

So, this year, my dues were free! Instead of a renewal, I got my membership card.

There is a family membership. Here is the wording from the national site (www.scca.com):

For a husband and wife or the whole family (children must be under age 21). Spouses have the same benefits and privileges as Individual membership. Children also have the same benefits. One copy of SportsCar® magazine is provided per family.

I am ashamed to admit that I do not know the cost for the family membership. It used to be listed on the site. The membership application on our site lists family as $100. I would go with that. That application also already has my name as a referral. The reason is that you get $15 off your membership by being referred. If you know someone else you would rather have as the referrer, just cross out my info, and put in theirs. You will need their membership number for that purpose.

Our next event is fast approaching. The Jersey Devil National (with test day on Friday) is on June 3-5. Also, ProIT will run that weekend,also. Last I looked there were 75 entries for the national, and 2? for the proIT. I expect those numbers to rise to the 125-150 and 30-40 range. Lots of great racing! We are always in need of people who love cars, and racing, and want to get in on the action! Keep asking questions - we all love to talk about it!

Again, if you think you might like to volunteer, I would not join until you get to the track (but contact Val Heun to let her know you will be there). We have the $30 applications for volunteers there. For your fiance - if she is not interested in working corners (which there are quite a few women who do), registration and timing and scoring are big hits. They are usually dry and air-conditioned! Hospitality/t-shirt hander-outer/race host is also a possibility.

The best thing to do is to contact the chief of the specialty you are interested in. Flagging and Communication is Dan Zane. He can be reached at flagging@sjr-scca.org. Val is our Registrar (if your fiance is interested) - registration@sjr-scca.org. Others are listed on the contacts page of the SJR site.

I hope I didn't scare you away, or give you too much information! Check out the Welcome to New Members, and the Open Letter to Members. Both have information you may find useful!
Meg
SJR Webmaster, Chief of Timing & Scoring

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users